What can a history major at UK do for you?
- History is the study of the most important and exciting events that have ever occurred.
- A History major provides a superb introduction to modern society, politics and global events.
- History provides rigorous instruction in critical thinking, writing and composition. History majors develop research and presentation skills that are highly transferable to any career.
- A BA in History can serve as a strong foundation for careers in Law, Government, Public Policy, Consulting, Education, Academia, Publishing, Research and Journalism.
- A History degree also complements a degree in International Studies, Political Science, Sociology, Anthropology or Geography.
History is one of the broadest disciplines in academia:
- Historians at UK study everything from religion to literature, from disease to technology, and from slavery to revolutions.
- Historians at UK work in dozens of different countries on five different continents.
- History is consistently recognized as one of the best teaching departments at UK.
A Bachelor of Arts in History is a flexible undergraduate degree that provides students with broadly marketable skills.
History majors are able to:
- Communicate clearly and persuasively in writing.
- Speak fluently and compellingly to audiences large and small.
- Apply their wide-ranging research skills to a variety of real-world problems.
- Gather and manage complex data.
- Present that data in a variety of formats.
- Formulate persuasive arguments on the basis of concrete evidence.
- Make well-informed decisions on the basis of that evidence.
History majors go on to become:
- Business executives
- National-security agents
- Development officers
- Public-relations managers
- Museum curators
- Journalists, editors, and publishers
- Civil Servants
- Teachers and educational administrators
- Information-management specialists
For more information about career opportunities, contact the UK Career Center.