Ph.D., California / Berkeley, 1980
His current research includes a study of the mechanics of Gilded Age politics and the Andrew Johnson impeachment (two books.)
Spring 2017 M 10:00 - 11:00, W 10:00 - 11:00
- A Student Cartoonist's View of Great Figures in American History (1972)
- The Presidency in Political Cartoons, 1776-1976 (1976)
- Railroads, Reconstruction and the Gospel of Prosperity (1984)
- The Plundering Generation: Corruption and the Crisis of the Union, 1848-1861 (1987)
- The Era of Good Stealings (1992)
- The Press Gang (1994)
- The Gilded Age (1997).
- Rum, Romanism, and Rebellion: The Making of a President, 1884 (2000)
- A Dangerous Stir: Fear, Paranoia, and the Making of Reconstruction (2009)
- "The Chimera of Whig Persistence: Louisiana and the Election of 1865," (1983)
- "A Band of Brigands: The 'Gridiron' Legislature and the Nomination of Lincoln," (1984)
- "The Press Gang," (1990).