Ph.D., The Johns Hopkins University, 1988
- Why Americans Stopped Voting: The Decline of Participatory Democracy and the Emergence of Modern Electoral Politics, 1880-1918 (New York: New York University Press, 2000).
Professional Papers and Publications:
- With David Bailey, "Disparate Voices, Conflicting Responsibilities: Reflections on the History of Oral History and the Implications for the Digital Age,” Oral History Association, October 2008.
- “Mr. Mandela and the Struggle to Overcome Apartheid and Build Freedom On-Line: A Critical Look at Digital Resources on the Legacy and the Challenge of Enhancing Them," Colloquium: Critical Reflections on the Legacy of Nelson Mandela: Tracing the Making and Meaning of Liberation Struggles in African Museums and Heritage, the University of Fort Hare, South Africa, September 2008.
- "From Digital Repositories to Information Habitats: The Quilt Index, H-Net and MATRIX," First Monday, Vol. 13, No. 8 - 4, August 2008,
- "Historical Journals, Scholarly Communication, and Open Access," Roundtable Presentation at the Association for the Bibliography of History Conference of Historical Journals Session at the Annual Meeting of the American Historical Association, Washington DC, January 2008.
- “Digital Humanities Centers as Cyberinfrastructure,” Roundtable presentation at the Fall 2007 Task Force Meeting for the Coalition for Networked Information, December 2007, Washington DC.
- “Cyberinfrastructure, E-Research and the Future of the Humanities,” Humanities Futures Conference, The Australia Academy of the Humanities, November 2007, Brisbane.
- “Digital Libraries and Cyberinfrastructure,” Case Western Reserve University Digital Library Lecture Series, November 2007.
- With Dean Rehberger and Michael Fegan, "Reevaluating Access and Preservation through Secondary Repositories: Needs, Promises, and Challenges," 10th European Conference on Digital Libraries, Alicante, Spain, 2006, Springer Publishers, September 2006, pp. 39-50.
- Mark Lawrence Kornbluh and David Bailey, “The American Black Journal: Archiving, Preserving, Interpreting and Providing Access to Twentieth-Century African-American History,” 14th International Oral history Conference, Sydney, Australia, 2006
- Review of The Emergence of David Duke and the Politics of Race, edited by Douglas D. Rose, The Journal of Southern History (Spring 1994)
- Review of The American Political Nation, 1838-1893, by Joel Silbey, Journal of Interdisciplinary History (Fall 1993)
- "Giving Aid and Comfort," Review of Secret Agenda: The United States Government, Nazi Scientists, and Project Paperclip, 1945-1990, by Linda Hunt, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists 48 (September 1992)
- "Men, Women, and Politics in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries," Review of The Moral Frameworks of Public Life: Gender, Politics, and the State in Rural New York, 1870-1930, by Paula Baker, Reviews in American History 20 (March 1992)
- Review of The Democratic Wish: Popular Participation and the Limits of American Government, by James A. Morone, Gateway Heritage (Winter 1992)
- Review of Resisting Images: Essays on Cinema and History, edited by Robert Sklar and Charles Musser, Film Quarterly 45 (Winter 1991-92)
- Review of Agrarianism and Reconstruction Politics: The Southern Homestead Act, by Michael L. Lanza, The Annals of The American Academy of Political and Social Science 518 (November 1991)